Printed from SFshul.org

Timeline

Timeline

 Email

 

 

Chevra's Timeline


1892       


Five men, Emil Cohn, Jacob Biebergall, Soloman Hoffman, Michael Marks and R.S. Roberts signed the articles of incorporation of Congregation Chevra Thilim, "Society for the Recitation of Psalms." The stated purposes were "to hold religious services in accordance with the orthodox rites of the Jewish religion, for social intercourse between its members and also for charitable purposes and to buy and sell real estate." The synagogue first appears in the San Francisco City Directory of 1896 at 1036 Folsom Street, then in 1903 at 966 Howard Street, and in 1911 at 1046 Howard Street, corner of Russ Street.

1932             

A committee consisting of Congregation President Joseph Schwartz and Vice-President Frank Blumenthal affected the purchase of a lot at 745 25th Avenue, on which a synagogue building was erected.

1943

The Congregation purchased the bungalow at 751 25th Avenue to house the Hebrew School and office.

1946               

A new, larger Synagogue center, the current building was dedicated.

1949               

The Congregation affiliated its Hebrew School with the Jewish Educational Society (now the Bureau of Jewish Education).

1954-1958      

The congregation purchased 754, 750 and 746 26th Avenue provide space for its Hebrew School and Junior Congregation.

1957               

A new Sefer Torah was presented to the synagogue by Mr. & Mrs. Jerry Milrod and Mr. & Mrs. Sol Milrod.

1958               

Ground-breaking ceremonies were held for the building of a new Hebrew School.

1960               

Construction of a two-story five-room Hebrew School and playground was completed.  Remodeling of the synagogue took place.

1961               

The congregation opened a daily Hebrew Nursery School  - the only one in Northern California – for children ages 3 to 5.

1967               

The name of the congregation was officially changed to Congregation Chevra Thilim.

1968               

The bimah was enlarged. New lighting and wall-to-wall carpet were installed.

1969                             

 A mechitzah was installed in the sanctuary.

1991               

A Tree of Life was installed in the Social Hall.

1992               

The congregation celebrated its Centennial celebration.

2006               

The chapel was renovated and rededicated.

2008               

The Congregation embarks on an exciting new project: a grand renovation to bring us into the next century.

 

 Email
Join a Committee

Get Involved! Join a Chevra Thilim Committee